Pages

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Tommy Haas video: What we can learn about sports psychology by watching a German tennis star berate himself. - Slate Magazine

"Ellis’s list illustrates many of the dysfunctional cognitive patterns in athletes, psychotherapy patients, and really everyone. These include catastrophizing (“If I lose, it will end my career”), basing self-worth on achievement (“If I don’t win, I’m not a real man”), personalization (“my missed free throw caused the team to lose”), blaming (“his missed free throw caused the team to lose”), black-and-white thinking (“I’m a loser.” “He’s unbeatable.”), and generalizations (“I always choke when I go for that passing shot.”)"

Tommy Haas video: What we can learn about sports psychology by watching a German tennis star berate himself. - Slate Magazine

No comments: