Pages

Sunday, October 15, 2006

Ryoma's Wife, Her New Husband and Her Lover

Does the women make the man or...? This play by Mitani Koki was the first that I have seen at the Japan Society and the first time I have ever seen a play with subtitles attempted. I am glad I know some Japanese because the subtitles were set off to the side. There were some sore necks after this performance I am sure. I enjoy plays with simple set and plot. The set was the one room apartment were Oryo settled with her second husband Nishimura Matsubei. He is the most pleasant character but clearly not anything similar to Ryoma Sakamoto. Why Oryo picked him was never made clear but she makes no attempt to climb the social ladder again. Sugano Kakubei who comes to bring her back for the 13th memorial service wants her to conceal her present to honor the past of Sakamoto. In fact he will kill her if she does not return with him. There is a three way combat for Oryo Matsubei, Kakubei and the Western looking Torazo.
Sometimes the comedy degenerates into scenes that are too cute. But there is a great scene about sake fermented with spit.

No comments: